Monday, April 28, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa come to visit

My parents came into town this weekend on a whirlwind trip to attend an elegant wedding in Andersonville and squeeze in a visit with their three grandchildren. Unfortunately for them, they heard the most dreaded sentence uttered by any pilot flying in North America: "There's weather in Chicago," on Friday and were 6 hours late flying into O'Hare.

By the time they drove here from their Evanston hotel on Saturday, my kids were stuck to the ceiling in joyful anticipation of a visit from Grandma and Grandpa Texas. Grandpa Texas, who has been working long hours on a power project in Connecticut, arrived, turned on opera on NPR, and promptly fell into dozing on the couch. The Baby took a nap. The Dad and The Boy spent some quality time together playing games and doing puzzles. And I took The Girl and Grandma with me to buy $4 worth of secondhand treasures at the Mayfair Presbyterian Church rummage sale. Then we all had a cuppa, and Grandma and Grandpa returned to their hotel to get ready for the wedding.

They came back again on Sunday, and we took them to meet Grandma and Grandpa Naperville at the Curio Cafe for brunch. It was very good, as usual. And, at just under $100 for 6 adult entrees, 3 kid meals, 8 cups of coffee and tea, and tip, a good value as well. For perhaps the second or third time in my life, I have become enough of a "regular" at the Curio Cafe that they recognize me as such, and know the names of my children, if not my name. I've never particularly felt like a regular anywhere, even when I went to Farley's in Potrero Hill on a weekly basis, so it's a nice feeling to have someone recognize me. Despite what this person may think, I am all for supporting businesses and organizations in my immediate community and its surrounding area.

After brunch, we headed back to our house for a bit before G&G had to catch their plane. Grandpa came with The Dad, The Baby, and I to look at a couple of expensive open houses in our neighborhood, while Grandma made tea for the kids and gave The Girl her birthday presents (2 Strasburg Children dresses, one of which is pink; she is in love!).

No comments: