Monday, January 28, 2008

5+ Years

It had to happen. After 5 1/2 years in the City, I became a victim of a crime today when my wallet was stolen directly out of my diaper bag at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Fortunately for me, I noticed it within 15 minutes when I went digging in the bag to find another item to occupy The Baby in the cart. So I reported it to the police, notified my bank and credit card company, and walked out empty handed. Unfortunately for the thief, I never carry any cash and there were no gift cards in my wallet either. When I got home, I put a fraud flag on my identity with the credit agencies. All I need to do now is get a replacement driver's license (or wait to see if it shows up in the mail in a few days), a new library card, and buy a new wallet.

Surprisingly enough, I don't feel violated. More upset at my own stupidity. I am more skeeved out by the fact that whoever took it had to put his or her hand right next to The Baby to remove my wallet from the bag. He was sitting in the cart, right next to the bag, and I was walking back and forth between him and the racks, a distance of about 4 feet.

No comments: