Monday, March 24, 2008

Incredible, Edible Egg

Yesterday, I volunteered at and my kids participated in the OIPA 11th Annual Easter Egg hunt. Unlike other events, OIPA's hunt requires community participation. Each parent donates 1 dozen filled plastic eggs per child-participant, dropping them at the coordinator's house in advance of the event. Most of the work of this event takes place before the event; the hunt itself took less than 10 minutes to complete. Perhaps less time than usual this year with 4+ inches of snow on the ground. It was quite odd to "hide" eggs in snowbanks and among icy branches. The kids were quite a sight, hampered in their quest for eggs by snowpants and big boots.

Since I volunteered, I walked over to the site at 9 a.m. The Dad followed later in the car with The Boy, The Girl, and The Baby. He had to dress them all in their outer gear, so The Baby showed up in his fleece bunting without any shoes. He didn't get to hunt eggs, but I gave him some M&Ms and he was happy.

I saw quite a few friends and neighbors, including Jessica, and met some new people as well. It was nice to connect a name with a face in at least one case.

You can see what I am talking about here.

No comments: