Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Suessical

It's Dr. Suess's birthday! You know, if I had thought about it when I came up with this blog, I could have used Dr. Suess characters as monikers for The Boy, The Girl, The Tot, and The Dad. The Dad is a huge fan of Dr. Suess, specifically The Lorax. We have two copies of The Lorax in the Chicago Mama household, including The Dad's original copy and one I bought at a garage sale for the kids. I'm constantly quoting Dr. Suess in my life, which translates well to most active parents, but causes your average 20-something to react with perplexity.

The Dad would be the Lorax and I'd probably be the Onceler (not that I want to be a Republican). The Boy would be a Brown Bar-ba-loot, The Girl would be a Swanee Swan, and The Tot would be a Humming-Fish.

While The Dad's favorite Dr. Suess story is The Lorax, I am not sure what is mine. When I was a kid, it was the story of Bartholomew Cubbins. As an adult, I enjoy reading many of the stories to my children, although my favorite is probably Red Fish, Blue Fish, One Fish, Two Fish. What about you? What is your favorite Dr. Suess story?

2 comments:

Jenna said...

"The Lorax" is my hub's favorite, too! I also have the oh so trashed original kid copy and another--in a "Six by Seuss" collection, I believe. I can't claim a favorite, although I would have to say I'm with you on the "Red Fish..."

Chicago Mama said...

Oh and how could I forget? Too Many Daves! Oliver-Boliver Butt always made me laugh as kid. Now I could probably recite the storylet from memory.