Sunday, September 30, 2007

Zippy!

We have not done much of interest lately. The Boy is now in preschool every day until 11:30 a.m., which does not give us much time to take interesting outings. We have been sticking closer to home and filling our days with more pedestrian child/motherhood pursuits: trips to the playground, drawing with chalk on the sidewalk, running up and down the street with our neighbors, playdates with schoolmates, indoor play with toys, and arts & crafts at home.

However, yesterday, we had an adventure of sorts. As we only have one car and had two places to go at the same time, I joined Zipcar and drove a Mazda Matrix3 to get The Boy, The Baby and I where we needed to go for 4 hours yesterday. The process was really easy: I reserved the car online. The Boy and I took the blue line to the Logan Square stop, went up the escalator, turned the corner and got into the car. We installed his carseat, then went home to pick up The Baby and his carseat.

A quick trip up I-94 got us to our destination: Chuck E. Cheese's. We had not really been to the mouse's entertainment palace, but I have a feeling that that is about to change. The Boy had a fantastic time. Unlike older kids, he was oblivious that some of the games shot out tickets, which can then be traded in for prizes. He just had fun playing, even more so when his friends showed up. He was a bit scared of the mouse himself when he showed up at the table to sing "Happy Birthday" to the birthday boy.

I had flubbed the birthday time, so we had to leave promptly at 1:30 to get the car back to its parking spot in the city self-meter lot at Emmett and Kedzie. I made it back to the lot without incident, but getting home was a bit more work as I had two carseats, a stroller, and The Boy and The Baby to keep track of on the train and home again.

Next time, I am renting a MINI.

No comments: